We believe our hygienist appointments are an integral part of your dental care. As well as helping to prevent gum disease and tooth loss, they offer you the chance to chat with our hygienist about a healthy diet and good oral health habits including smoking cessation advice. She can introduce you to the latest oral hygiene aids and products for looking after your mouth.
Air Polishing – a gentle cosmetic dental solution for stain removal
In addition, our surgeries are equipped with the latest equipment in ‘air polishing’ which gently and safely removes unwanted stains on the front and back of teeth.
The procedure utilizes a fine jet of compressed air, water and fine powder particles to gently and completely remove staining caused by tea, coffee, red wine and tobacco, as well as staining caused by mouthwashes.
Air polishing has many advantages, non-more so than the fact that it is a gentle procedure that greatly reduces discomfort to those suffering from sensitive teeth.
- Removes up to 100% of dental plaque thereby helping to prevent decay, gingivitis and gum disease
- Can be used on dental implants
- Far more effective than a traditional polish
- No heat generated by the procedure
- No contact with the teeth, or pressure against any teeth
- Additionally Air Polishing is a much more gentle process of stain removal and leaves patients with evenly smooth surfaces across their teeth
A hygienist is a dental professional who has been specially trained in the prevention and treatment of gum (periodontal) disease. This is the main cause of adult tooth loss.
Hygienists also give advice on all aspects of oral health and hygiene.
- Most appointments are for “Periodontal Therapy”. People often call this a “scale and polish” but there’s a lot more to it than that
- Our Hygienist will talk to you about your oral health – for example the treatment and prevention of gum (periodontal) disease
- She’ll give you oral hygiene advice – for example, tooth brushing technique and the use of special products like interdental brushes and mouth rinse
- Next, she’ll check your gums and teeth to see if there is any plaque or bleeding
- Then she removes any hard deposits (called calculus) and staining from the teeth using an ultrasonic cleaning device and hand instruments
- She’ll also polish the teeth to make them shine
- There are other types of treatment that our Hygienist provides, like fissure sealants, Periochip treatment, Dentomycin therapy and Root Surface Debridement. Both our Hygienist and the dentist can tell you more about these and when they might be appropriate for you
“Since having the good fortune in discovering the Hampton Wick Dental Centre, my wife and I would wish to express our thanks for the very warm and friendly reception, and the truly exceptional and professional treatment received.
The Hygienist support is excellent, in particular, the work of Miss Kate Tallis whose warmth and bedside manner makes the hygienist visit seem stress free.We have no hesitation in recommending the Hampton Wick Dental Centre to our friends and neighbours.”
“When I first visited the Hampton Wick Dental Centre, my teeth and gums were in a bad way from too many sweet drinks and lack of essential hygienist work! On top of this my fear of the dental chair meant I hadn’t been to the dentist for years. However, that has now all changed thanks to your wonderful professional team.
I am getting married at then end of August 2010 and was dreading having my photographs taken, I had found it difficult to smile for some time due to the vast difference in length of my two upper front teeth, my self esteem was low and I was not looking forward to my wedding and being the centre of attention. Then I met Lama, Kate and Ron (who made me laugh even when I was scared!).
After several hygienist appointments, fillings, impressions and aesthetic dentistry including the wonderful skilled cosmetic work which built up my shortened front tooth, I was finally ready for tooth whitening. As you can see from my photograph I am a very happy and smiley ‘bride to be’. I also now have a new job dealing with the public, working for a large housing company, thanks to your help in boosting my confidence.
I look forward to seeing you soon for my next appointment and to show you my wedding photos!
I would just like to say a big thank you to all of you at Hampton Wick Dental Centre, especially Lama and Kate.”
“When my dentist of some twenty years sold his practice on retirement, I was apprehensive on my first visit to the new surgery! Two years on I can say that I need not have worried. If you are looking for a dental practice with excellent patient care, up-to-date knowledge and technology, all held together by a first class manager with a huge personality, you need look no further!
The recent implant work carried out by the lovely Lama was a painless exercise and a great success. The hygienist, Kate Tallis, is like a breath of fresh air! She excels in her work and is skilled, thorough and gentle.
As someone who requires hygiene work every three months, I have had plenty of work on my teeth over a period of forty plus years, and I can honestly say that Kate has been the best of the bunch and is well worth a visit!”