Quick Enquiry

Amazing new equipment – PAD stands for Photo Activated Disinfection

What is P.A.D – How does it work?

P.A.D is one of the most important scientific advances in dentistry for many years. In a very simple procedure, a special liquid is applied to the decay. The solution selectively targets and tags all bacteria. When the P.A.D light activates the solution it releases singlet oxygen that kills all the bacteria on a tooth surface, in a cavity or in a root canal.

What are the benefits of P.A.D?

  • Less tooth material is removed, so if fillings are needed they are smaller, leaving a strong, healthier tooth
  • Drilling is therefore reduced (sometimes avoided altogether) and an anaesthetic may not be necessary
  • The filling lasts longer because decay is less likely to recur. The decayed part of the tooth can also recover (known as remineralisation)
  • Where there is deep decay, the risk of exposing the nerve is reduced so root canal work may not be necessary
  • Tooth loss may be avoided
  • Especially suitable for children and patients worried about dental treatment

Will I feel anything?

No. There is no heat, vibration or pain caused by the P.A.D procedure. Indeed because less tooth material is removed, drilling is reduced and an anaesthetic may be avoided.

Is P.A.D Safe?

The P.A.D liquid is non-toxic, the light is safe and therefore there are no known side effects.